Home » History

Camden County Mothers of Twins, as it was known then, actually started in 1953 when a young mother of twins wrote to the Courier Post asking to be put in contact with other mothers of multiples. About six mothers met in mothers’ homes. The first club picnic was held in 1953 at Camden County Park. They also had a Christmas Party and a clothing swap. The next year, they held a second Christmas Party, visited a local hospital and went to the Philadelphia Zoo. In 1958 or 1959, due to family obligations, the group disbanded.

In 1961, C.C.M.O.T.C. was revitalized by some founding members and our ranks quickly grew to 18 mothers. We met at the nursery of a Cherry Hill bowling alley. At one time, we met in a chicken coup near the Cherry Hill Mall.

In 1967, we met at the Cherry Hill Community Center where members held round table discussions and Penny Auctions.

In 1968, we moved to the People’s Bank in Westmont.

In 1969, Betsy Grovett, a well-known local story-teller, entertained the children at the Christmas Party.

By 1971, there were 35 members including two moms who each had a set of triplets. An important Speakers topic for that time was “Teaching Sex in Schools”. Country Store Bingo was played for a cost of $0.50 and a donation of two $0.50 prizes. The first New York bus trip saw “Company” starring Jane Russell. One-hundred and fifty people were expected to attend the Christmas Party with Betsy Grovett and her twin puppets, Tammy and Thomas. Annual dues were $5.00. The yard sale raised $110.00! At one meeting, the members shared decorated shoe boxes for “Mid-Night Snack” and the Installation dinner was at the Latin Casino with entertainment provided by Liberace.

In 1972, we contacted the State Organization about joining, applied for an E.I.N. Number, rented a post office box, and increased the clothing sale to twice a year. Our meetings had an adult twin panel, a hand-writing analyst and we saw “Grease” in New York.

In 1973, we hosted our first State Convention at the Sheridan Post, which was attended by 165 mothers. We had a fashion show at Wanamakers, an Easter Egg Hunt at Cooper River Park, and a New York Bus Trip to see “Pippen”. We also distributed “welcome cards” to area hospitals.

In 1974, dues were $7.00 a year, and we had 55 members. There was a Father’s Night, a tea social for new members and we started a bowling league. The New York Bus Trip saw “Same Time Next Year”, which cost $33.00 per ticket. Fifteen members attended the National Convention.